Saturday 17 January 2015

A Monsoon Memory



 Last year's diary entry revived in memory after a dear uncle gifted our home, this beautiful Kashmiri carpet. 


Roads are built and rebuilt each day in my city. The drilling. The dust. The frozen traffic. The clusters of brown glistening bodies moving about over eroded pieces of land. There is an incessant mechanical drone and a drab grey mist that envelopes your entire being. So much so, that it never really leaves your system. The noise,  the dirt, the sweat seem to seep right into your skin and stay with you, making each of us look a little more tired, a little older than what we ought to.

It was a day like all others. My rickety auto rickshaw along with numerous other vehicles on the street were stalled by such a road repair feat. As I waited impatiently for the traffic to start moving again, I noticed beside me, the endless concrete grids that formed the skeleton of the new road to come.

This was a fairly familiar sight. The uniformly constructed, vacant, concrete squares. Drying to form harder, coarser insides to sustain all the weight and pressure of the city. But these grids had something unusual about them.

Unlike most other streets in Mumbai, this one has the sweet fortune of being lined by tall flower-ridden trees. Moreover, the city had just dipped itself into the early showers of June. The breeze too was rather generous these days. It must have been at some invisible hour of the previous night when the wind had brushed the trees off their delicate yellow flowers and strewn them all over that lifeless spine of the street.

I sat, transfixed for quite some time, gazing at all those hitherto colorless and empty squares now filled with a fine layer of yellow flowers. Luckily, nobody was trying to remove them. The glistening bodies carried on their work as usual. And the flowers kept settling deeper and deeper.

Now, every day as I pass by that street, I smile to myself thinking of all those millions of flowers forming an invisible but fundamental layer of the ground beneath our feet. In between layers of hardened concrete, the memory of those soft and fragrant flowers gives me a renewed strength for another day in the city.




4 comments:

  1. I like you first person writing. The piece leaves you feeling afresh. So wonderful na to realise each morning that one is walking on a flower bedded street. That somewhere it is the tenderness of these flowers supporting our renewed zeal and aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It is a lovely little secret between me and the city that makes each day a bit easier to go through. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Arundhati, I read all of your writings available here and I must say I have never come across a blog like yours. There is an embedded beauty in your writing, a poetry, a realisable poetry I must say. A detached description but yet complete in its own self. I like your writings. Although it would have been better if I had more to read here. Write more often. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad you liked my jottings. Thank you so much for your kind words. :)
      I shall certainly write more often.

      Delete